Sometimes, we see an exceptional puppy, in a litter, and we hold it back for our breeding program. Because it is so difficult to give our breeding dogs the individal attention they each deserve, we will occassionally place a puppy or adult breeding dog into a guardian home. We are looking for people with integrity, honestly, responsibility, a great love for dogs and who are able to work well with others. Please read through the entire contents of this page and if you are interested in becoming a Winding Creek Ranch guardian, there is a link at the bottom of the page to fill out an inquiry form. Thank you.
How it works:
If you are approved, you pay nothing for the dog. You are basically acting as a foster home for one of our breeding dogs. We contract for 4 litters and retain ownership until those litters are completed. Once the puppy is old enough, she will be health tested at the breeder's expense. If already an adult, the health testing may already be done. If she passes, she will come to the breeder's home to be bred (7-10 day stay) and then again when the puppies are born, for approx. 8 weeks. Litters are born at the breeder's location. As soon as the puppies are weaned, she may go back home and continue her life as a pet. Once the agreement is fulfilled, the dog will be spayed and breeder will reliquish all rights to the dog. By providing a loving home for one of our breeding dogs, you will have earned full ownership, once the obligation is fulfilled and the dog is spayed. We greatly value our guardians and would not have the amazing program that we have, without them. If you would like to learn more about signing up for this program, please fill out the Guardian Program application (link below). Thank you!
1. Be within 2 hours driving distance of breeder's home.
2. We prefer you to have a fenced yard. In some cases, we make exceptions.
3. All food, grooming and vet expense, not related
to breeding, is your financial responsibilty. All guardian dogs must be taken to a professional groomer no less than every 8 wks. Every 6 wks is preferred. Non-compliance by guardian revokes the arrangement and dog returns to the breeder.
4. Past experience in dog ownership preferred.
5. At least one obedience class preferred, at your expense. This is always recommended because it helps you bond with you puppy and creates a wonderful relationship between you and her.
6. You must be willing to submit to breeder's requests when it concerns the health and well- being of the dog and/or her offspring.
7. Expect an interview, visit to your home and a contract to sign. These steps are necessary to protect the puppy/dog and the investment into our program.
8. For the duration of the guardianship, you will
purchase NuVet supplements and give daily.
This will cost around $20/month and is highly
recommended for all dogs, regardless of age. You must also feed Life's Abundance dog food for the duration of the contract. This will be more convenient for you so you won't have to bring any food for her extended stays (unless it's for boarding while you go on vacation).
9. During times when a heat cycle is expected, we require a guardian dog to be boarded here at Winding Creek Ranch, should the guardian family be in need of such services. It is never acceptable for a guardian dog who is in heat or due to come into heat soon, to be boarded in any other facility. Therefore, guardian is required to communicate with breeder about planned vacations, etc. so together it can be determined where the dog should stay. The guardian family will be expected to pay a boarding fee just as they would anywhere else but they will receive a discounted rate. If you would like to arrange for in-home care, by a responsible adult, that can be discussed and may be an acceptable alternative. Petsitters should always come with more than one good reference which you should follow-up on. A new trend is for a so-called petsitter to sell an owner's dog and say it got away (dog flipping). :o( Bottom line...you need to
know the person staying with the dog.
Aside from the trips to our home, we believe the requirements listed on this page are considered normal and should be routine for any dog owner. If you feel these demands are ridiculous, please do not inquire about being a guardian. We take scrupulous care of our dogs and expect no less of our guardians. Don't let that scare you. We consider our guardians to be a part of the Winding Creek Ranch family! We aren't difficult to work with, as long as the dogs are well cared for and a good line of communication is maintained.
Many people look to rescues or try to find a retired breeding dog so they can get it for cheaper. As a guardian, you can have a Goldendoodle (pick of the litter) and pay nothing up front. Your dog will be tested for many genetic issues at the breeder's expense. Also, when the time comes, the breeder also pays for her to be spayed (at breeder's vet) or pays up to $150 to the guardian's own vet. Please understand though, dog ownership is not cheap. Just because this is an awesome deal, please consider the financial requirements of owning a dog and taking scrupulous care of it. ;o) However, what you get in return, priceless!
If you think this sounds like something you'd be interested in, please fill out our Guardian Inquiry Form for further discussion and availability. Many times, we won't hold one back until we have a family lined up to be a guardian.
Disclaimer: Any person who enters into a Guardian Agreement with Winding Creek Ranch and winds up breaching the contract by refusing us access to the dog, spaying the dog without permission or intentionally breeds it without permission will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If you have any ideas about taking of advantage of this agreement in this way, we would advise against it. We have a rock solid contract and a very good attorney. We will prosecute. Thank you.
Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Psalm 27:4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.